Business rates and where to find help

If you are occupying a business premises, then you will need to pay business rates to your local council. Even if you are working from home, the part of your property used for business may be liable to business rates. Although, small business relief may be available in some circumstances. If you are moving to a different premise, you can find out the rateable value by contacting your local council or using the Valuation Office Agency.

How councils can help with business rates

Occupiers of non-domestic properties pay non-domestic rates (often known as business rates) which contribute towards the cost of local services to support your business. The councils collect the business rates, and this money then goes towards paying for services provided by them, as well as the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Fire and Rescue Authority.

Councils can:

  • advise on how much you will have to pay, if you have a particular property in mind
  • ensure that you receive any relief or exemption that you are entitled to
  • set up an account for you and give the maximum available number of instalments for payment
  • advise on the best way to pay your business rates
  • help with any government support you can access during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Where to go for support

Contact the council where your business is located:

City of York Council

West Offices building, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Phone: 01904 551553


Hambleton District Council

Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2UU

Phone: 01609 779977


Harrogate Borough Council

Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate, HG1 9RW

Phone: 01423 500600 ask for Business Rates


Richmondshire District Council

Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

Phone: 01748 829100


Craven District Council

Planning Department, Belle Vue Mills, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 1FJ

Phone: 01756 706470


Ryedale District Council

Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

Phone: 01653 600666 ext. 650


Scarborough Borough Council

Local Taxation, Town Hall, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

Phone: 01723 232323


Selby District Council

In Person – Access Selby, 8-10 Market Cross, Selby, YO8 4JS

Phone: 01757 705101


Futher information

Valuation Office Agency